Used Western Saddles for Sale
Consider used western saddles for your riding needs – and dramatically increase the purchasing power of your hard-earned dollars. Buying a used saddle gives you access to a brand name or handmade saddle, for the same money as a new generic saddle of lower quality.
Check out great deals on used western saddles – Two-week return policy, and Free Shipping, always.
We have an extensive selection of used saddles for sale through Horse Saddle Shop. You’ll find a variety of brands, styles and sizes you just can’t find anywhere else.
What type of western saddle fits your horse riding demands? Choose your saddle by riding discipline, manufacturer, or horse size. Plenty of choices are generally available: used roping saddles, used western show saddles, plus endurance, ranch, trail, cutting, reining, and barrel saddles.
Tips on buying Used Western Saddles
- What construction materials best suit your riding requirements? If you show Western Pleasure, you may need a saddle constructed from a higher grade of leather with additional silver trim. Perhaps you are a “weekend warrior” on the trails and prefer a low maintenance synthetic saddle.
- Consider the type of saddle tree that provides the best fit for your horse. For example, options include traditional wooden trees or ralide, flex tree, even treeless. Types of saddle bars can range from Regular, Semi-Quarter Horse, Full Quarter Horse, Extra Wide Full Quarter Horse and Arabian.
- Pay attention to the seat size of the saddle that you are considering. Getting the size right depends on physical build, personal preference, and the shape of the swells (or forks). We have used western saddles for sale in various seat sizes.
- Inquire about the age of the saddle. Bear in mind that quality used horse saddles can last a lifetime, if they are properly cared for. Used saddles can easily be updated by adding extras after the purchase (silver trim, for instance).
- It is important to question the condition of the saddle. Just how used is the saddle? Be advised that even “gently used” saddles will likely have minor imperfections due to light wear. As long as performance of the saddle isn’t affected, minor flaws should be acceptable. Do check to be sure the original leather has not been weakened by excessive use of stitching from past repair work or lack of care.
- What comes with the saddle? (examples: cinch, bridle, breast collar)
- Determine how much the shipping charges will be. Used horse saddles are heavy! Some merchants charge for shipping and others do not.
- Ask about the types of payment that are acceptable.
Need to clean out your own tack room?
Horse Saddle Shop offers consignment options along with a used saddle “Blue Book” to assist you in selling your own gently used saddle. They also offer guidelines for measuring proper saddle fit for yourself and your horse.