East Coast Equine Inc. (East Coast Horses) takes the care and safekeeping of our website visitors’ data seriously. It is our business model and has been since we started in the year 2000. East Coast Equine Inc.’s dedication to maintaining the security of our website visitor’s personal data means we are committed to complying with applicable privacy laws wherever we do business.
As part of this resolve, East Coast Equine Inc. is prioritizing compliance with the new General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) enacted by the European Union which becomes effective May 25, 2018. The regulation is designed to give EU citizens more control over their data and seeks to unify a number of existing privacy and security laws under one comprehensive law.
We aim to fully support the GDPR standard, but also acknowledge that there is more to be done technically in order for us to achieve this end. We are actively working towards GDPR compliance, by which we intend to comply with Data Subjects (website visitors’) rights, as follows:
- Right to information – meaning you have to right to know (and ask us) what personal data is gathered, from where it is obtained and why and by whom it is processed.
- Right to access – meaning you have the right to access the data collected from/about you. This includes your right to request and obtain a copy of your personal data.
- Right to rectification – meaning you have the right to request rectification or erasure of your Personal Data that is inaccurate or incomplete.
- Right to erasure – meaning you have the “right to be forgotten.” At any time, you can request for your Personal Data to be erased from our records. Erasure also makes data unavailable to any and all 3rd party providers.
- Right to restrict processing – meaning where certain conditions apply, you have the right to restrict the Processing of your Personal Data.
- Right to object to processing – meaning in certain cases you have the right to object to Processing of your Personal Data, for example in the case of direct marketing.
- Right to object to automated processing – meaning you have the right to object to automated processing, including profiling; and not to be subject to a decision based solely on automated processing. This right you can exercise whenever there is an outcome of the profiling that produces legal effects concerning or significantly affecting you.
- Right to data portability – you have the right to obtain your Personal Data in an electronic format. This data can then be shared or transferred to a new processor.
- Right to lodge a complaint – in the event that we refuse your request under the Rights of Access, we will provide you with a reason as to why. If you are not satisfied with the way your request has been handled please contact us.
- Right to withdraw consent – you have the right withdraw any given consent for Processing of your Personal Data.
What East Coast Equine Inc. Is Doing
In the process of rolling out GDPR compliance, East Coast Horses will use existing protections as our foundation. For instance, we have and will continue to
- accept only opt-in permission-based data from our visitors in email requests
- operate under SSL certificate
- Google analytics data — All personal user and event data is set to automatically expire 26 months after the date it was collected.
As we approach the GDPR Launch date, East Coast Horses is completing a number of tasks designed to assess systems and ensure compliance, specifically:
- We have enabled MailChimp email service to enhance email data security and to ensure clear consent and opt-out functionality on all website visitor emails.
- We are reviewing / updating our documentation and processes regarding data storage and handling, including Google Analytics with regards to anonymized browser information about visitor’s sessions while viewing the EastCoastHorses website, as appropriate.
- We are taking measures to ensure that the proper systems are in place to enable all website visitors to, at any time, request copies of their data, amend it, unsubscribe from any mailings they may receive, or delete their profile entirely with a focus on transparency and ease of use.
East Coast Horses’ commitment to GDPR compliance will require ongoing learning both within our company and among our partnerships and website visitors and subscribers.
To learn more about GDPR please visit the link below.